100 grams red split lentils
½ small onion
1 bacon rasher sliced thinly (optional - do not use if your child is under one due to bacon's high salt content)
1/2 crushed clove of garlic
1 carrot finely chopped
Chicken or vegetable stock (if not fresh a teaspoon of powdered stock or 1/4 cube of stock and water)
Preparation & Cooking:
- Wash the lentils thoroughly (follow instructions on the packet) and soak for 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, fry the onions and garlic gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the finely sliced bacon and chopped carrot.
- Now add the lentils and enough stock to cover all the ingredients and a bit more.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes. Check regularly so that there is enough liquid for the lentils to cook. Add more stock if need be.