30 July 2013

Kinder kitchen Kid's Healthy recipe - the wonders of an avocado

My breakfast (sorry couldn't resist taking a bite)
Well the hot weather has left London and headed elsewhere. In it's place we have torrential rain
showers. It is actually a wonderful relief as the trees, plants and garden grasses are soaking up the well needed rain. My herbs are flourishing with all the sun and rain.

One of my many favourite breakfasts in the morning is soda bread with avocado. I use half an avocado which I thinly slice and place on a thick piece of bread. I pour over it half a cap of vinegar, a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper. It's a prefect way to start the day and keeps me full until lunchtime.

I love eating avocados and generally buy them from local Turkish and Mediterranean shops as they are much cheaper to buy. They are also reasonably priced in Aldi too. If they have gotten a little too ripe in your fruit bowl a great recipe for using them up is this easy kid's guacamole. I teach this a lot in all my cookery classes as initially kids go yuck but once they have followed all the processes they try it and mostly like it.

 
Kids Guacamole
 
Ingredients:
 
2 very ripe avocados
1 tomato
Juice of ½ a lime
2 tbsp olive oil
A little salt and pepper 
 
Method: 
  1. On a board, chop the tomatoes up as small as possible
  2. Place the avocados into a bowl and with a fork mash them up
  3. Now add the tomatoes, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix well
  4. Serve the guacamole with freshly made flatbreads (http://kinderkitchenrecipes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/healthy-kids-cooking-together-with-your.html)


Nutritional value of avocados

Great site with nutritional values of avocados - http://www.naturalnews.com/034370_avocado_nutrition_facts_health.html

No comments: