4 October 2013

Kinder Kitchen Top Tip - how to de-seed a pomegranate

A beautiful pomegranate cut in half
It's rain showers and sunshine here in North London at present and I have yet to see a rainbow! It's my daughter's birthday tomorrow and I have been busy wrapping her presents and organising a wonderful day for her. She will be six! How time flies!

Anyway, whilst taking a break over a cup of coffee, I read a mutual bloggers post about de-seeding a pomegranate. There are lots of way to do this and most of them involve their juices staining everything in close proximity. When however you have managed to get the seeds out, it is totally worth it as they are deliciously juicy, sweet and nutritious. I eat them on their own or I add them to vegetable salads and fruit salads. I particularly like them sprinkled over toast and pate with some chopped chives. Yum.

Anyway the easiest way I know to de-seed them is:

1. Cut the pomegranate in half
2. Place one half seeded side down in the palm of your hand
3. Bang the top of the pomegranate as hard as you can with a wooden spoon, splaying your fingers slightly to allow the seeds to drop into a bowl

Kids love bashing the pomegranates and watch the seeds fall and they love eating the little seeds too!
 

No comments: